Once upon a time

About six and half years ago, I heard a song in Ally McBeal. It touched my heart, but I soon forgot; I just heard it once. But I remembered a single line and based on it I wrote many poems, short and long.

After all these years I suddenly started to search for it. At first I couldn't find it. But I pinged everyone I thought might have or can find.
I finally found it.
It's beautiful. It's perfect.
It still makes me cry.
_____________
The Only Love I Had by Venice
(performed by Vonda Shepard in Ally McBeal)
Once upon a time
A long time ago
I thought that I should leave you
I thought that you should go
I never really said goodbye
I never even heard you cry
And after all this time, it's hard to say
The only love I had, I sent away

Ah, but you were young
Younger than I knew
I hope you can forgive me
I was younger too
I really thought th at I could see
What was best for you and me
Though after all this time, it's hard to say
'Cause the only love I had, I sent away

Sometimes as I lay here in the dark
I wonder where you're sleeping
If you think of me at all
Are you warm?
Are you happy where you are?
Do you sometimes feel like weeping
When the summers turn to fall?
Do you think of me at all?

And so I send this out
Wherever you may be
To tell you I still love you
You're still a part of me
And if you could ever find a way
I'll be hoping for the day
When you can smile at me and tell me it's okay
That the only love I had, I sent away

Comments