JFK!

While I was enjoying the beauty of the rain at JFK, I did not realize bad weather meant flight delays. I did for a fraction of a second wonder how the flight would take off but did not spend much time on it. I should have. My flight got cancelled.

I was stranded in JFK with no phone, no wifi, no flight on my first trip to the USA.

I tried to get on the next flight but only ended up sending my luggage to Boston. I tried to get on the next one but it got even more delayed.

All this while I was in touch with the world through a pay phone to my sister who was in touch with the rest of the world for me. Luckily I ran into an old friend from IIT who was also waiting at JFK for her flight to Ohio. At least I was then reachable.

Finally, I left the airport, left my confirmed ticket for a flight that is to take take of late at night and reached a family friends’ place. It was a pleasant feeling to stop worrying. We had dinner and I got a phone and slept like a baby till the next morning with no jet lag what so ever. The airlines said they would keep the luggage for 5 days if required. I woke up the next morning to a heavy breakfast and a rainy day. Then ran up to the bus stop and took this bus to Boston which would reach in about 45 minutes to Boston.

I do not want to say with finality that my adventure is over as yet.

Funny, I had never had to wait for more than 3 hrs at any railway station in India as far as I could remember.

Comments